- Specific. Exactly what do you want to do? Who’s involved? What’s to be accomplished? Where and when will you make it happen?
- Measurable. If you can measure it, you and your coach can evaluate it. How will you show yourself and others that you’ve met your goals?
- Achievable. Stretch yourself. Challenge yourself. Don’t set easy goals, nor goals that will frustrate you, if you can’t meet them. Make them controllable.
- Relevant. Goals must relate to your event, your track and field career, and to team goals.
- Time bound. Set target dates for your goals – by the end of…(week, month, season, high school)
- Effort. Your goals will require work to achieve. Enjoy the process and account for the hard work it will take to get there.
- Report. Talk with your coaches often about your progress.
Homework Assignment: Each question can have many responses. Be honest. Fill this out during quiet, personal time.
- What do you really want out of your track and field experience?
- What makes you feel really happy?
- Why are you doing track and field?
- What activities, classes, extracurricular activities are most important to you?